FASTING AND PRAYER
EXODUS CHAPTER 34
VERSE, 27, 28
27) And the LORD said unto Moses. Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
28) And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights: he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 4
VERSE, 1, 2, 3, 4
1) Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the evil.
2) And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3) And when the tempter came to him, he said if thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4) But he answered and said, it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeded out of the mouth of God.
DANIEL CHAPTER 10
VERSE, 2, 3
2) In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
3) I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
JONAH CHAPTER 3
VERSE, 5, 6, 7
5) So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6) For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7) And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the degree of the king and his nobles, saying, let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water.
ESTHER CHAPTER 4
VERSE, 15, 16, 17
15) What shall we do unto the queen Vashti according to law, because she hath not performed the commandment of the king Ahasuerus by the chamberlains?
16) And Memucan answered before the king and the princes. Vashti the queen hath not done wrong to the king only, but also to all the princes, and to all the people that are in all the provinces of the king Ahasuerus.
17) For this deed of the queen shall come abroad unto all women, so that they shall despise their husbands in their eyes, when it shall be reported, The king Ahasuerus commanded Vashti the queen to be brought in before him, but she came not.
1 SAMUEL CHAPTER 7
6) And they gathered together to Mizpeh, and drew water, and poured it out before the LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, we have sinned against the LORD. And Samuel judged the children of Israel in Mizpeh
ACTS CHAPTER 10
VERSE, 30, 31
30) And Cornelius said. Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing.
31) And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God
ACTS CHAPTER 13
VERSE, 2, 3
2) As they ministered to the LORD, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said. Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
3) And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
LUKE CHAPTER 18
VERSE, 9, 10, 11
9) And He spoke this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10) Two men went up into the temple to pray: the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11) The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as the other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
ISAIAH CHAPTER 58
VERSE, 3, 4, 5
3) Why have we fasted and you do not see? Why have we humbled ourselves and you do not notice? Behold, on the day of your fast you find your desire. And drive hard all your workers.
4) Behold, you fast for contention and strife and to strike with a wicked fist. You do not fast like you do today to make your voice heard on high.
5) Is it a fast like this which I choose, a day for a man to humble himself? Is it for bowing ones head like a reed? And for spreading out sackcloth and ashes as a bed? Will you call this a fast, even an acceptable day to the LORD?
MATTHEW CHAPTER 6
VERSE, 16, 17, 18
16) Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
17) But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face.
18) So that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
1 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 7
VERSE, 4, 5
4) The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
5) Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
NEHEMIAH CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 4, 5, 6
4) When I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
5) I said I beseech you, O LORD God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who preserves the covenant and loving-kindness for those who love him and keep His commandments
6) Let your ear now be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer of your servant I am praying before you now, day and night, on behalf of the sons of Israel your servants, confessing the sins of the sons of Israel which we have sinned against you: I and my father’s house have sinned.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 17
VERSE, 19, 20, 21
19) Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said. Why could we not drive it out?
20) And he said to them, Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain. Move from here to there, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
21) [But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.]
JOEL CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 14, 15
14) consecrate a fast, proclaim a solemn assembly; Gather the elders. And all the inhabitants of the land. To the house of the LORD your God. And cry out to the LORD.
15) Alas for the day! For the day of the LORD is near. And it will come as destruction from the Almighty.
1 SAMUEL CHAPTER 14
VERSE, 28, AND 43, 44
28) Then one of the people said. Your father strictly put the people under oath, saying. Cursed be the man who eats food today. And the people were weary.
43) Then Saul said to Jonathan. Tell me what you have done. So Jonathan told him and said. I indeed tasted a little honey with the end of the staff that was in my hand. Here I am. I must die!
44) Saul said. May God do this to me and more also, for you shall surely die, Jonathan.
MARK CHAPTER 2
VERSE, 18, 19, 20
18) John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting; and they came and said to him. Why do John’s disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?
19) And Jesus said to them. While the bridegroom is with them, the attendants of the bridegroom cannot fast. Can they? So long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast.
20) But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in that day.